We are all at risk from poisonous mercury. It’s time to take action

Share this post

Mercury is found in household items from beauty products to electronics, and even in food. Without proper safeguards our health is in danger

Mercury is far more pervasive than most people realise, and we have no idea how many people are at risk. It can be found in everything from mascara and dental amalgam to thermometers and skin whitening creams – and that’s before it reaches the food chain.

There is no safe level of exposure, and everyone is at risk when mercury is released without safeguards. Children and newborn and unborn babies are most vulnerable, along with populations who eat contaminated fish. Studies have shown that children as far afield as Brazil, Canada, China, Columbia and Greenland all suffer cognitive impairment from eating fish containing mercury.

Related: Women of childbearing age around world suffering toxic levels of mercury

Related: Poison once flowed in America’s waters. With Trump, it might again | Peter Gleick

Continue reading…

This post was syndicated from Health | The Guardian. Click here to read the full text on the original website.


Share this post

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply